Thursday 26 April 2012

Just a quick report on the Peterborough 100(miles) which I cycled 4 days ago.It was an early start setting off from the Marriot Hotel in the first group at 7am.I was a bit annoyed with myself as I had forgotten my garmin.This is a lesson for the future to get all your kit ready the night before and not on the (early) morning of the ride itself.
I met up with Clive at Elton who had only just got there 3min earlier and we rode in a gentle pace and mostly uphill towards the first feed station at Gretton.As always with AMR the feed station was full of food goodies and drinks and we enjoyed a lovely cuppa and some cake.After we set off again we were joined by young Tom from the Kettering Cycle Club and after Clive had peeled off at Uppingham to head back to Elton both Tom and I carried on over the hills of Rutland towards Braunston for our 2nd stop.We then headed north of Rutland Water to Blytham Castle for lunch which again was excellent.By now most of the hills had been conquered but we were in for a long stint of 30 miles to Collyweston for our last stop of the day.When we rode into Stamford the heavens opened with rain and hail and we arrived at Collyweston pretty cold and wet.After a nice cup of tea and some flapjacks we set off again for our last 15 miles of the day back to Peterborough.
We got back to the Marriot Hotel round 2.45pm and Tom mentioned his avg on his Garmin was 16mph which considering the circumstances was quite satifying.
All in all it was a good final test before my LEJOG and I will now rest and keep myself wrapped in cotton wool untill 1st May!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your ride. I did the ride with Discover Adventure in May 2010 and had a great time. Did you know that a load of vets from the SW are doing the same ride - see http://ccvetscycleride.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete